Attention: Guys who cosplay/want to cosplay spandex-clad superheroes
OK dinguses, here’s something that’s gonna make your life and the lives of everyone who sees you at the con so much better.
This is called a Men’s Dance Belt.
It’s for male ballet dancers to wear under their tights. Its purpose?
TO MAKE SURE NOBODY SEES THEIR BULGE.
when I’m at a con, nothing kills a potential good superhero costume more than seeing the cosplayer’s friendly neighborhood spider-cock through the costume.
Tutorial: A Con Safe Light Weight Keyblade from Craft Foam
AKA How to make this pile of generally useless material:
Into this awesomeness:
Weight: 4 pounds. Other cosplayers were asked to hold it and were AMAZED at how little it weighed. It’s light enough to keep you from getting tired while carrying it.
Time: 8-10 hours… or the length of Rise of the Guardians, 6 episodes of NCIS, and 2 episodes of Game of Thrones.
With the way it’s built with all the extending parts being ‘interlocked’, it didn’t fall apart after a long car trip, several days tossed around a con, and me generally goofing off and swinging it around. It got left in a hot car in the Florida sun and didn’t melt… something I can’t say for all props…
READY? LET’S MAKE YOU A KEYBLADE MASTER.
because i am SO SICK of seeing drawings and cosplays with this
this is not how freckles look and it just makes the whole character fall apart
now i could sit you down and tell you all the science behind freckles but thats boring. the point is, anybody can have freckles, and some can get LOADS of beautiful freckles,
or even just a few. now if youre cursed like me and have a mom that is the ginger queen yet you were born with NO FRECKLES, heres a little tutorial i slapped together to help you out
the key to freckles is VARIATION. the red parts indicate the area where freckles gather the most to yellow where there are much less.
i use a brown and black makeup pencil, theres probably other makeups to help with it, this one just works for me. freckles come in all shapes and size, and yes, beyond circles and ovals. freckles towards the red areas will overlap each other very much, i start out with making some very large freckles, from light ones to dark ones
you want to make your freckles so they dont look evenly spaced apart at all, i like to have many of them in small groups, and a FEW single ones. keeping the contrast in freckle space is essential to making your face look like its actually full of gorgeous freckles
hell yeah ear freckles! these are important too, they appear mostly around the boarder (pardon my ear as it actually is missing the end ridge) near the earlobe and a few can even be inside the ear. the amount all depends on how many freckles you are putting on your person. remember things like eye lids, near and in the eyebrows or hair near enough to the forehead. your scalp has freckles too so if you have short hair like mine, the scalp shows through your hair. you dont have to go all freckle crazy on the scalp, just keep in mind it deserves these beautiful spots too
FOREHEAD FRECKLES~ the way i use my pencil is not just to dot the surface of my face, but as i put it down, i kind of give it a twist to darken it without spreading the freckle out too much. keep your pencil sharpened to help with variation, and use black and brown pencils at different pressures.
the breakdown of the steps for me is:
large dots, many varying dots, outlander dots, then i wipe down a lot of them to get more faded effects, then i repeat the first few steps. then i go back over and touch up some, darken some to create more variation, and see if i can add even more contrast in areas with a few dots in blank areas. then seal it all up lightly and ur golden
sorry im not smiling its about 90 degrees in my room currently BUT HERE YOU HAVE IT. FRECKLES. this applies all down the body of course, but im not doing all that its just the same process
HOW TO SHOP AT JO-ANN’S LIKE A BOSS
Since I posted this on a friends wall… I thought I’d share this with you.
This, and shopping in fashion districts, is literally how I afford to do the cosplays I do.
- Sign up for the mailing list to get the physical coupons
- Sign up for the e-mail list to get the email coupons
- Get the smartphone app for even more coupons
- Go to this site to get MORE coupons. This will give you another generic email coupon sometimes as well as the semi-broken mobile joanns app that has EVEN MORE coupons
- If you’re not buying fabric or sewing notations, bring Michaels and AC Moore coupons since you can use AS MANY as those that you can use since they accept all competitor coupons
THINGS ABOUT JO-ANN COUPONS
- The mobile app for apple and droid give out different coupon codes
- Mailer coupons (like the ones with your name on it), I’ve so far noticed, have unique codes per customer
- E-mail coupons that are unique per customer if it has your name on the coupon (like mailer ones)
- The derpy mobile Jo-Ann’s app has a different code than the apple/droid mobile Jo-Ann’s
- If the code is different by 1 number, you can use both coupons in one purchase
- All Michaels and AC Moore coupons (including mobile/digital) works on all Jo-Ann’s products other than sewing stuff
RULES OF THUMB
- Jo-Anns runs 50% coupons during major holidays, two coupon commotions per year, and usually every 3 weeks otherwise
- Looking for Casa Fabric? Wait for Prom, Easter, and Christmas
- Casa Fabric I’ve noticed goes down to flat rate prices of 3.99-4.99/yrd three times a year. Want that 18/yrd fabric? Wait till its 4 bucks.
- Looking for Brocade, Unique Fabrics or Patterns? Wait for Halloween
- Brocade tends to go 50% off at least once every two months I’ve noticed
- Looking for Fleece? Wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Blizzard Fleeces go on crazy sales around Black Friday, but it can be extremely hard to get it on those days so be weary
- If your fabric is on sale this week for 30% off, and you have a 50% off coupon for the next two weeks, wait for the sale to drop and pick it up with a coupon
- Patterns tend to go on sale for $1-2 every couple of weeks. It normally is a one day sale for a certain brand one week, and then a one day sale for another brand the week after. Stock up on patterns you think you may use (This is especially good around Halloween)
- Unless you’re pressed for time, always wait for the 50% off sale or the 50% off coupon
- Mobile and digital coupons are unlimited. If you’re not too far from your Jo-Ann’s you can make multiple trips
- You are more likely to get a 50% off coupon to use on non sale fabric then you are to find it on sale for more than 30% off
- If you’re shopping online and find the Teacher Discount code, you can use it without being a teacher! They can’t check online and thats an extra % off.
And my biggest rule for shopping at any craft store?
50% OFF OR BUST!
From Pancake Police
- 1. If you’re a student, sign up for the Student Discount Card! When you run out of coupons, it’s nice to have this extra bonus that takes 10% off of your purchase. I believe it’s good for sale items too?
- If you can’t find enough coupons from Joann’s, they’ll take competitor’s coupons too! (This is a little tricky— for fabric, they won’t take Michael’s or AC Moore’s because their competitors won’t sell it, but it’s good for beads, wire flowers, basically everything else. Hancock’s Fabric coupons should work for fabric, though!
- Not all mailer coupons have different barcodes per person, only the 40/50% off ones on the back of the mailer are different. Anything inside the mailer will be the same coupon code and thus you can’t use duplicates on the same transaction.
- Don’t be afraid to combine % off your total purchase coupons with % off items coupons. The % off your total purchase coupons will just come off of anything that the other coupons don’t apply to, including sale items.
- Be nice to your cashier and hand them your coupons in the order that they should be scanned! Highest percentage off individual items first, moving down, and any % off total purchase coupons last. It makes your transaction faster and gets you the best deal possible.
- Very occasionally, the notions wall and thread will all be 50% off, sometimes with a % off your total purchase coupon available simultaneously. Take advantage of these times and stock up on notions and thread! 25% off of notions already 50% off is nothing to sneeze at. (The last time this happened was New Year’s and I believe it happens at least one other time every year.)
You can also download the Hobby Lobby mobile app and use that for more fabric discounts.